Monday, June 23, 2014

3 Years of Monsters

I feel like I'm becoming a broken record but it remains true: I'm sorry for the long break! Things got extraordinarily busy (hell, they still are) and there just hasn't been the time for more monsters. And that's terrible. There should always be time for more monsters.

But don't worry! I'm still here and I'm ready to post some more. And before a new deluge of monsters, I thought it'd be time for another anniversary post, this being my third year and all at doing this.

Looking at the artwork over the years has been fairly strange; some of the art I produced still looks pretty good and others really show their age. There are some monsters I remember being pretty proud of that I now find slightly embarrassing. You're always improving as an artist and it's good to acknowledge that for a moment. Even if you don't think you're getting better, you are.

Another thing I've noticed is how abstract some of the monsters have gotten. There's some truly strange and surreal looking ones made during this last year. A lot of pictures don't even really have backgrounds beyond some weird splash of the texture brush. I can't say there was ever a conscious decision in that regard ("Many, Many Monsters," has never been about conscious decisions), but it's somewhat intriguing. What will this new year of monsters look like? I don't know yet but I'd sure like to find out.

Until then, thanks for being a reader and I only hope I've brought to you some manner of enjoyment. All I really want to do ultimately is make people happy and I'd love it if this blog is a way of doing that.

Thanks again,
Ryan

Here are some favorites from the last year, in no particular order:








No comments: